Q&A with Ron Laurie

Who is Ron Laurie?
I am a consultant and facilitator who loves to learn and explore both the outer world and the inner world of what it is to have a human experience. I am also extremely pragmatic and love the challenge of business and the working environment.

Why do you do what you do?
I do what I do because I am always learning. I feel at my best and purposeful when I am engaged to look for patterns amongst the multiple perspectives, thinking and doing of groups and then assigned to design interventions that align them to organisational systems. I get at great deal of satisfaction when working with individuals and teams who discover personal growth when they find new ways of looking at the challenges they face and they realise they are capable of more than what they thought possible and are inspired to take action.

What are your strengths at a consultant?
I listen, deeply. In fact, it has been the basis of my success as an effective contributor to organisations. After I listen deeply to the issues, challenges and dynamics in organisations I then deploy my strong theoretical and abstract problem solving skills. This enables me to create solutions and provide direction. I then have the ability to create leaning and growth interventions that reach in and engage others in an experience that enables them to solve the challenges for themselves.

What’s the most interesting part about your line of work?
I find the rich interplay of individuals, culture and organisations as it intertwines with awareness, thinking and action intriguing.

Can you think of any great companies doing some great, innovative work?
I came across the work of a Brazilian company recently called Natura, see www2.natura.net/NaturaUniverse/En/src/index.asp They are a company who have successfully blended the environment, people’s development, local culture and direction in such a way that they epitomise the Integral approach and are therefore hugely innovative.

If you could invite 5 people to dinner, who would they be?
I would need to dig a few of these out of the ground first, but it would be a fascinating conversation: Terence Mckenna, Buckminster Fuller, William James, Salvador Dali and Amit Goswami.

Who inspires you and why?
I think anyone who pushes the limits of our understanding and has an ability to communicate their insights to others.

If you were stranded on a desert island, what book and 2 items and would you like with you?
I would take Synergetics by Buckminster Fuller (there would be plenty of time to penetrate the dense language and understand the profundity of his thinking). A strong magnifying glass and a strong telescope

No comments:

Post a Comment